Remaining positive is not always easy, even for positive people!
I have always liked “sayings” and when I am at my lowest will often read them. They make me feel better for some reason.
When my husband was first diagnosed and given 2 months to live, I would write the positive sayings that I found in a little green notebook.
Eventually after 22 difficult months of many operations and 28 rounds of chemo my brave husband died , yet I still read my little green book with it’s sayings.
One of the ones I read over and over when I was fearful of what was to come went like this –
Fear is as great as the mind allows, rather look back with thanks and look forward with confidence.
Those few words comforted me for some reason and made me remember that even if that day was the last day on earth it was important to stay calm and happy, but especially so for him as he was the one who was so brave fighting to stay with us.
There are so many times in our lives where we battle with our thoughts.
I remember as a young mother feeling vulnerable when my husband was made redundant, as there was a terrible recession and job prospects were few and far between. My first inclination was to turn to my mother, whose support and encouragement consisted of these words ” you will figure it out dear”
Armed with that advice, I looked for opportunities, at first sewing toys and selling them at the local market, which by chance led me to selling Advertising for a small local newspaper.
The second time he was made redundant, I took those small sales skills that I had developed and went into Real Estate. And even though many told me that it would be too difficult to survive working such long hours often for nothing in return, I persisted.
Although it was commission only and was highly competitive, I prospered much to my surprise and was able to support our family while my husband re-trained.
So today, I thought I would share some of my favourite sayings that have sustained me during difficult times.
Perhaps they may work for you?
It could be that you are just wanting to get out of the bed in the morning and cope with the family breakfast , or you could be coping with a loss, or maybe you are anxious over a child or family member. Or it could be that you feel that you will never achieve your sales target or get a job perhaps?
There is so much going on in our world every day that we keep hidden from others during our daily grind.
So here goes:-
- Every morning we are born again.
- What we do today is what matters most
- Happiness starts with you. Not with your relationships, not with your job, not with your money, but with you.
- Don’t look back you are not going that way
- Pain is inevitable- Suffering is optional
- Life is 10 % what happens to you and 90 % how you react to it.
- Two principles for a happy life : Use things not people and love people not things
- Be kind to unkind people because they need it most.
- Forgiveness doesn’t excuse their behaviour. Forgiveness prevents their behaviour from destroying your heart.
- Life is ironic. It takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence.
- If you cannot do anything about it then let it go. Don’t be a prisoner to things you cannot change.
- If your compassion does not include yourself then it is incomplete.
- The first to apologise is the bravest, the first to forgive is the strongest, and the first to forget is the happiest.
- What you think you become. What you feel you attract. What you imagine you create.
- Happy people focus on what they have. Unhappy people focus on what is missing.
- Explain your anger, don’t express it and you will immediately open the door to solutions instead of arguments.
- If you have to choose between being kind and being right choose being kind and you will always be right.
- Life is a circle of happiness, sadness, hard times and good times. If you are going through hard times have faith that good times are on the way.
- One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you cannot change.
- If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got.
- Raise your words not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers not thunder.
- Learn to enjoy being alone, because no one will stay forever.
- Use your smile to change the world; Don’t let the world change your smile.
- Pause and remember; Every situation in life is temporary. So, when life is good, make sure you enjoy and receive it fully. And when life is not so good, remember that it will not last forever and better days are on the way.
- Keep your face to the sunshine and you won’t be able to see the shadows
- Don’t worry about failure, worry about never even trying.
- Courage is the little voice at the end of the day that whispers ” I will try again tomorrow”